Incumbent MLA Adriana LaGrange won the United Conservative Party nomination vote to run for re-election in Red Deer-North. LaGrange faced a nomination challenged from anti-vaccination activist Andrew Clews and according to a source in Red Deer, the vote was close.
LaGrange has been the face of the government’s controversial education system reforms, including the introduction of a new curriculum for kindergarten to grade 12 that many education experts say includes outdated and retrograde terms and ideas.
LaGrange was first elected to the Legislature in 2019 when she unseated NDP MLA Kim Schreiner in a 60.6 percent to 23.1 per cent vote. She previously served as a trustee on the Red Deer Catholic School board from 2007 and 2018 and was president of the Alberta Catholic School Trustees’ Association from 2015 to 2018.
NDP candidates target Nate Glubish on rural broadband internet
Edmonton-Manning NDP MLA Heather Sweet joined Strathcona-Sherwood Park candidate Bill Tonita and Morinville-St. Albert candidate Karen Shaw at a press conference to criticize the UCP government for lack of progress on rural broadband internet expansion.
“Access to high-speed, affordable internet is essential for diversifying our economy and creating jobs, but the digital divide is growing under the UCP and hundreds of thousands of Albertans are at risk of being left behind,” said Tonita.
Strathcona-Sherwood Park is currently represented by UCP MLA and Service Alberta Minister Nate Glubish, who responded in a tweet saying “…Alberta’s Broadband Strategy is a fully-funded plan to eliminate the digital divide in 5 years. We are making sure we invest tax dollars wisely to achieve the best possible result for rural Alberta.”
Both Strathcona-Sherwood Park and Morinville-St. Albert are ridings the NDP believes they have a chance of picking up in the next election.
Other nomination updates:
- Karen Stix is seeking the UCP nomination in Edmonton-South. Stix is a professional accountant who runs her own accounting company and is an instructor with the Edmonton Nordic Ski Club. Also seeking the nomination is Saad Siddiq, who announced his candidacy in February.
- The NDP have set September 14 as the nomination date in Edmonton-Beverly-Clareview. Four-term MLA Deron Bilous is retiring and, as of this morning, party president Peggy Wright is the only candidate in the race.
- Jacob Stacey is seeking the Liberal Party nomination in Strathcona-Sherwood Park.
Upcoming nomination meetings
- September 7 – Calgary-North West NDP
- September 10 – Edmonton-Ellerslie NDP
- September 11 – Lethbridge-West NDP
- September 14 – Edmonton-Beverly-Clareview NDP
- September 15 – Calgary-Mountain View NDP
- September 17 – Edmonton-Gold Bar NDP
I am tracking candidates and building a list of people running for nominations to run in Alberta’s next provincial election. If you know of someone running, please post a comment below or email me at email@example.com. Thank you!
(I am launching a Substack. Sign up at Daveberta Substack)