Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS
Oil well liability became a big issue in Alberta politics this month when rural municipal politicians raised giant red flags about the estimated $173 million in unpaid municipal taxes as a result of some oil and gas companies nearing insolvency and many more companies just believing paying taxes is voluntary.
Tina Faiz and Regan Boychuk joined Dave Cournoyer on this episode of the Daveberta Podcast to discuss the growing issue of oil well liability, and the political and policy repercussions created in its wake.
Tina Faiz is a communications consultant and political strategist based in Edmonton and Regan Boychuk is the lead researcher and oilfield liability expert with the Alberta Liabilities Disclosure Project.
The Daveberta Podcast is a member of the Alberta Podcast Network, powered by ATB. The Alberta Podcast Network includes more than 30 great made-in-Alberta podcasts.
You can listen and subscribe to the Daveberta Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you find podcasts online. We love feedback from our listeners, so let us know what you think of this episode and leave a review where you download.
Find us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!
- Cash-strapped rural Alberta ‘can’t wring money’ from struggling oil and gas firms, premier says (CBC, Jan. 21, 2020)
- Report ‘buried’ by Alberta government reveals ‘mounting evidence’ that oil and gas wells aren’t reclaimed in the long run (The Narwhal, Jan. 23, 2020)
- Alberta Urban Municipalities Association wants province to make tax changes (Toronto Star, Jan. 24, 2020)
- Alberta landowners urge farmers to cut power to oil and gas wells with unpaid debts (Toronto Star, Jan. 24, 2020)
- Alberta’s looming multibillion-dollar orphan wells problem prompts auditor general probe (CBC, Jan. 23, 2020)
- Unpaid oil taxes (CBC Radio, Calgary Eyeopener, Jan. 21, 2020)
- Former MLA Swann won’t pay taxes to protest delinquent oil and gas companies (CTV, Jan. 22, 2020)
- UCP set to overhaul oilpatch liability rules for oil and gas wells (Postmedia, Jan. 10, 2020)