Incumbent Cypress-Medicine Hat MLA Drew Barnes was kicked out of the UCP Caucus in 2021 after becoming one of former Premier Jason Kenney’s loudest critics inside the party. He hasn’t ruled out rejoining the UCP but he is also seriously considering running for re-election as an Independent candidate.
Rowswell acclaimed in Vermilion-Lloydminster-Wainwright
UCP MLA Garth Rowswell was acclaimed as his party’s candidate in Vermilion-Lloydminster-Wainwright.
Other nomination updates
- The UCP have scheduled a nomination vote in Athabasca-Barrhead-Westlock on December 9 and 10. Second-term MLA Glenn van Dijken is being challenged by 24-year old Westlock County Councillor Isaac Skuban.
- Globe and Mail journalist Carrie Tait reports that incumbent MLA Roger Reid will not reenter the UCP nomination contest in Livingstone-Macleod even after Nadine Wellwood’s disqualification was upheld. The vacancy has sparked speculation that Premier Smith, who lives in the riding, may run for re-election there in 2023.
Total nominated candidates
The NDP have nominated candidates in 64 of Alberta’s 87 ridings. The UCP have candidates named in 37 ridings and the Green Party has 18 candidates. The Alberta Party has nominated 3 candidates and the Liberal Party has one.
Here are the scheduled upcoming nominations:
- November 16 – Calgary-West NDP
- November 20 – Airdrie-East NDP
- November 23 – Livingstone-Macleod NDP
- November 26 – St. Albert UCP
- December 2 & 3 – Drayton Valley-Devon UCP
- December 3 – Calgary-Elbow UCP
- December 4 – Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo UCP
- December 8 – West Yellowhead NDP
- December 9 & 10 – Athabasca-Barrhead-Westlock UCP
- December 17 – Calgary-North NDP
I am building a list of candidates running for party nominations, so if you are seeking a nomination and would like you name added to the list please let me know. Thanks!
Subscribe to the Daveberta Substack and get my bi-weekly Alberta politics column delivered straight into your email inbox.