Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS
More than half of Albertans live in Calgary and Edmonton, so why does it feel like big city issues are an afterthought for the provincial government?
Mack Male joins Dave Cournoyer on this episode of the Daveberta Podcast to discuss the state of local media in Edmonton, Municipal Affairs Minister Kaycee Madu’s paternalistic approach to municipal relations, the review of the Local Authorities Election Act and how it might change the rules of the 2021 municipal elections, and whether there is hope for ever getting a real urban agenda for Alberta (plus free transit and gondolas).
Mack is a co-founder of Taproot Edmonton and co-host of the Speaking Municipally podcast, which focuses on Edmonton City Council and municipal issues in Alberta’s capital city.
A big thanks to our producer, Adam Rozenhart, for making this episode sound so good.
The Daveberta Podcast is a member of the Alberta Podcast Network, powered by ATB. The Alberta Podcast Network includes more than 30 great made-in-Alberta podcasts.
You can listen and subscribe to the Daveberta Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you find podcasts online. We love feedback from our listeners, so let us know what you think of this episode and leave a review where you download.
Find us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening!
- Missing the Bus (99% Invisible Podcast interview with Steven Higashide)
- Should Public Transit Be Free? More Cities Say, Why Not? (New York Times, Jan. 14, 2020)
- Edmonton has declared a climate emergency, now what? (Chris Gusen, Taproot Edmonton, Sept. 20, 2019)
- Whyte’s motorcycle oasis, and the ties that bind (Ryan Stephens, Taproot Edmonton Aug. 17, 2017)
- City leaders ‘frustrated’ as province mulls changes to local elections (Postmedia, Jan. 23, 2020)
- Let’s end the myth of partisan-free city council elections (Daveberta.ca, Feb. 10, 2016)
- Once upon a time Alberta MLAs had meaningful ideas about Senate Reform (Daveberta.ca, June 27, 2019)
- #YegVote and #abvote Google Hangouts: Don Iveson, Rachel Notley, Laurie Blakeman, Derek Fildebrandt, Drew Barnes, Linda Osinchuk, and Kerry Diotte.