Candidates must submit their nomination papers in the Heritage Room at City Hall on Monday, January 25, 2016 between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. More information can be found on the City of Edmonton’s Elections webpage.
Since my last update, there are now at least seven candidates who have publicly declared their intentions to run in the Ward 12 by-election:
- Danisha Bhaloo – Manager of Fund Development, Boys and Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton and Area. Named by Avenue Magazine as one of Edmonton’s Top 40 under 40 in 2013. (Reported in Metro Edmonton)
- Irfan Chaudhry – Project Manager in the City of Edmonton’s Multicultural Relations Office and sessional criminology instructor at MacEwan University. Named by Avenue Magazine as one of Edmonton’s Top 40 under 40 in 2013. (Announced on Twitter)
- Arundeep Singh – Former Vice-President Outreach of the Progressive Conservative Party and employee of his family’s gravel trucking business. (Reported in Metro Edmonton)
- Damien Austin – announced on his Facebook page that he will be a candidate.
- Yash Sharma – Editor and founder of the Asian Tribune and Harmony TV (announced on his Facebook page that he will be a candidate).
- Jagat Singh Sheoran – A certified social worker (announced on his Facebook page that he will be a candidate)
- Sam Jhajj – I was not able to find much information this candidate’s background online. The Issues section of his website appears to copy word for word the text from the Issues section of Amarjeet Sohi’s city councillor website.
For updates, visit my updated list of the Ward 12 candidates and their social media links.