Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS
Calls to defund and abolish the police have become a mainstream conversation in reaction to the murder of George Floyd by a Minneapolis Police officer and countless other murders and examples of systematic racism and violent behaviour by police forces against Black, Indigenous and People of Colour across Canada and the US.
Edmonton lawyer Avnish Nanda joins Dave Cournoyer on the Daveberta Podcast to discuss the massive shift in the public debate about the role of policing institutions and what meaningful police accountability looks like in Edmonton and Alberta.
We discuss the role of city councils, police commissions, and the provincial and federal governments in policing and how those levels of government can implement police reform. Avnish also shares news about the new Is This for Real? podcast, which is focused on telling stories about experiences Black Edmontonians have had with police (you can support this project on Patreon).
Thanks to our producer Adam Rozenhart for his work making this episode sound so good.
The Daveberta Podcast is a member of the Alberta Podcast Network. The Alberta Podcast Network includes dozens of great made-in-Alberta podcasts.
You can listen and subscribe to the Daveberta Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you find podcasts online. We love feedback from our listeners, so let us know what you think of this episode and leave a review where you download.
Find us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks for listening.
- Black Lives Matter – Edmonton & Area Chapter
- It’s time to get serious about police reform in Alberta (Avnish Nanda, Tom Engel, Sarah Rankin, Edmonton Journal, June 12, 2020)
- Over 15,000 people in Edmonton gather for equality rally at Alberta legislature grounds (Global News, June 5, 2020)
- RCMP defence of Chief Allan Adam’s arrest shows ‘pattern of behaviour’: Qualtrough (Global News, June 14, 2020)
- Alberta’s top RCMP officer vows to stamp out systemic racism after denying it existed (CBC, June 12, 2020)
- My response to the Black Lives Matter Letter to City Council (Mayor Don Iveson, June 6, 2020)
- Episode 103: Abolish the Police, Episode 104: No Police, No Problem (Sandy and Nora Podcast).
- Defund the police? Other countries have narrowed their role and boosted other services (Washington Post, June 14, 2020)
- Yes, we mean literally abolish the police (Mariame Kaba, New York Times, June 12, 2020)
- Alberta Justice Minister promises to speed up process of modernizing Police Act (CTV Calgary, June 9, 2020)