1) Oil is sitting at $38 a barrel.
2) Calgary-Buffalo MLA Kent Hehr has launched a website to support Bill 201, a piece of legislation that would give Police more powers in fighting gang violence. Hehr will be introducing this bill in next session of the Alberta Legislature, set to begin on Tuesday, February 10, 2009.
3) The RCMP are investigating alleged misuse of Wheat Board voters lists by five Conservative MPs. Alleged to have been involved are Crowfoot MP Kevin Sorenson, and Saskatchewan MPs David Anderson, Randy Hoback, Andrew Scheer and Ed Komarnicki.
4) Molotov cocktails are reported to be the source of an arson against the Edmonton home of former Syncrude President James Carter.
5) The University of Alberta Students’ Union has launched their Restricted Access campaign, and in today’s edition the Gateway has an interview with Advanced Education Minister Doug Horner.