A couple of candidate updates for our 2006 Edmonton Election Candidates list.
– Jim Jacuta has been nominated/appointed as the Liberal candidate in Edmonton-Leduc. In 2000, Mr. Jacuta was the Federal Liberal candidate in Edmonton North (against Alliance MP Deb Grey) and the 2001 Provincial Liberal candidate in Edmonton Stathcona (against Alberta NDP MLA Raj Pannu).
– The Marijuana Party has nominated Ken Kirk in Edmonton East.
– Both Edmonton Centre Liberal candidate Anne McLellan and Tory candidate Laurie Hawn kicked–off their campaigns yesterday evening. Look for this to be a battle royale between what probably are the two most organized campaigns in the country.
– Props to Shannon (our “highly placed source in the NDP”) for pointing out that the NDP are in the process of renominating candidates in ridings like Westlock-St. Paul and Edmonton-Sherwood Park. They originally had candidates nominated in all of Alberta’s ridings back when everyone was expecting a spring election, but they’ve had to renominate in some ridings since.
– The Green Party has released a document detailing why they think they should be included in the 4 national Leader’s debates. We tend to agree. It would be nice to see another party have the chance to take on the 4 traditional party leaders.
– The Greens have nominated Kate Harrington to run in Edmonton – Mill Woods – Beaumont.
– Also, after checking out the Marxist-Leninist Party website, our slightly twisted sense of humour was pleased to find this gem. Can you imagine the Liberals or Tories doing something like this? (A memorial to the 9 Liberal party members banned after Gomery….) No word as of yet if the ML’s or the Commie‘s will be running candidates in Edmonton.
– Also, CBC has set up a “blog report” blog covering the blog coverage of the election. Check it out. It’s fun.